Start a Team
These are the steps necessary to now be taken by your sailing club to join MAISA. One thing that should be a plus for you is that at the end of a first successful year, the first year's dues and fees can be reimbursed by ICSA (with proof from the Graduate Treasurer that all monies have been paid up front).
Here are some basics about getting the ball rolling:
- A faculty advisor from the college is required. Hopefully this person will be active in association with the team and oversee its operation. This person would sign forms required by MAISA for registering competitors in the conference and would need to sign on to be the Directory Administrator for the team members who are also required to be registered with ICSA.
- A letter of application (on college letterhead) to the MAISA Executive Committee with information about the college and its interest in forming a sailing club/team -- to be signed by advisor (and undergraduate officers, if they are in place). This should include how many students are interested, their experience, and how the team would be funded.
- A letter on official letterhead from an authorized person at the university who can attest to the fact that a sailing club is recognized by the institution and students are authorized to represent it in intercollegiate competition.
- A completed MAISA Membership Application.
- Initial monetary funds ($200) are as follows:
$50 – Regatta Fee Deposit
$150 -- Yearly dues as Associate MemberThese are due at the time of acceptance by the general membership. Regatta fees are billed after scheduling for the following year is completed. Team fees are $7.50 for each minor regatta; $15 for each major regatta.
- Other obligations will be explained upon successful completion of the above requirements and consideration by the MAISA Executive Committee.
If at any time you have questions contact the MAISA Commissioner or any of the leaders listed here: MAISA Leadership.
Welcome to the MAISAC and we look forward to seeing you on the water!
MAISA Conference Commissioner
Sailing Office, McDonough Arena
37th & O St. NW, Georgetown University
Washington, DC 20057